Ranarum ICF 1972
The strain was isolated from the kidney of a leopard frog (Rana pipiens) in 1964 in Iowa, United States, by Diesch et al.(1966). The strain did not show any serological relationship to any other leptospiral strain except a very low cross-reactivity with a strain of serovar Ballum. Babudieri (1972) studied the strain, confirmed its separate status and considered it to represent a new serovar, which he named ranarum, with reference strain ICF. It did not show any pathogenic properties in laboratory animals. Cinco (personal communication, 1986) studied the strain and considered it to belong to the parasitic species Leptospira interrogans. The serovar was recognized by the TSC (Manchester, 1986), and along with serovar Evansi, it was considered to form a separate serogroup known as Ranarum. Shortly after, its serovar status was confirmed by a RL and it is therefore marked by (o) in the Revised List of 1988 (Kmety & Dikken, 1988). In the attached updated list it is included unconditionally.
Serovar Ranarum, strain ICF was placed in the saprophytic species L. meyeri based on DNA homology studies (Brenner et al., 1999) but was later on was shown to clearly cluster within pathogenic clades (Victoria et al., 2008).
* Diesch S.L., McCulloch W.F., Braun J.L. Leptospires isolated from Frog Kidneys. Nature 209, 5026, 1966, 939-946.
* Babudieri B. Systematics of a Leptospira strain isolated from frog. Experientia 28, 1972, 1252.
* TSC meeting, 1986, Manchester: Minutes. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 37, 1987, 472-473.
* Kmety E., Dikken H.: Revised List of Leptospira Serovars (accepted by the Subcommittee on the Taxonomy of Leptospira). University Press Groningen, 1988, p. 16.
* Brenner, D. J., A. F. Kaufmann, K. R. Sulzer, A. G. Steigerwalt, F. C. Rogers, and R. S. Weyant. Further determination of DNA relatedness between serogroups and serovars in the family Leptospiraceae with a proposal for Leptospira alexanderi sp. nov. and four new Leptospira genomospecies. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 49, 1999, 839-858.
* Victoria B, Ahmed A, Zuerner RL, Ahmed N, Bulach DM, Quinteiro J, Hartskeerl RA. Conservation of the S10-spc-alpha locus within otherwise highly plastic genomes provides phylogenetic insight into the Genus Leptospira. PLoS ONE 2008;3(7):e2752.
Showing 1 strains
Each strain costs € 405,00
Reactions between reference strains and monoclonal antibodies
All monoclonal antibodies are € 510,00 per 0.5 ml